Six Sigma CertificationNeeds and Challenges
Needs And Challenges
Six Sigma is a quality enhancement methodology that helps individuals, businesses, or organizations to reduce the deficiency or flaw in their service, product, or system. In the process of quality improvement, the Six-Sigma approach uses statistical data to analyze the condition instead of assumptions. It is a realistic and practical concept as the core of this approach is analytical. Many organizations use this approach to enhance their services because of the broader scope of application. This method helps professionals identify defects or risks associated with products.
Six-Sigma certification can skill a person in identifying defects and risks. It can help to remove the defects to ensure the quality of services and increase production. An individual can increase his credibility and become a professional in the process of quality enhancement if he/she becomes familiar with this approach.
In 1986 Bill Smith developed this statistical approach and quality enhancement method to improve the quality standard of his company's services. Before the invention of this method, the company Motorola where he worked as a senior scientist, was going through a difficult time. Implementation of Six-Sigma methodology helped Motorola to meet the quality standard of its services.
Six Sigma principles
Any Six Sigma Project's goal is to identify and eliminate any errors and defects,
causing variation in quality by defining a series of steps around a specific target.
Smaller is Better
It creates an "upper specification limit," like having a target of zero for defects or rejected parts.
Larger is Better
It involves a "lower specification limit," like test scores — where the target is 100 percent.
Nominal is Best
It focuses on the middle ground — the customer service representatives need.
This process aims to bring statistics and data into the mesh to help identify errors and defects that can impact quality.
In practice, Six Sigma follows one of two sub-methodologies: DMAIC and DMADV:
Six Sigma DMAIC
The Six Sigma DMAIC project methodology involves five phases, each represented as a letter in the DMAIC acronym. These include:
- (D)Define: Identifying and defining the problem, the project requirement, the customer, and the expectations and ultimate goals of the customer.
- (M)Measure: Measuring the performance of the current process by establishing a data collection plan to determine defects and gather metrics.
- (A)Analyze: Analyzing the process to find the root cause of variations and errors to identify issues with the current strategy.
- (I)Improve: Eliminate the root causes of defects by improving through innovative solutions.
- (C)Control: Controlling the new process to prevent from falling into old habits.
Six Sigma DMADV
The Six Sigma DMADV, also termed as the Design For Six Sigma (DFSS), involves five stages:
- (D)Define: Define or set realistic goals that suit the customer's requirements or business strategy.
- (M)Measure: Measuring and identifying the customer's critical to quality (CTQ) requirements and convert them into clear project goals.
- (A)Analyze: Analyzing multiple options and alternatives for the customer.
- (D)Design: Designing the process at a high level before moving to a more comprehensive version that will be the prototype to identify errors and make modifications.
- (V)Verify: Verifying that all the customers/clients approve the final iteration of the process or product — whether internal or external.
Six Sigma methodologies
DMAIC vs. DMADV
Both methodologies are quite similar, but they have different use cases. The DMAIC methodology is for existing processes or products that don't meet customer's needs or perform to standards.
When a business has to develop a product or process that doesn't exist or when a product has been optimized but still falls short, that's when you should use DMADV.
The Five Basic Stages of Six Sigma:
The foundational pillars of Six Sigma are these top 5 principles:
Ask your teammates and yourself questions such as what are the hurdles in the current project? Are there any external factors involved which may create problems later? What are the areas of waste? It helps you build a more substantial data. Gather data to find out specific problem areas that need transforming. Defining clear goals for the collection of data and confirming the accuracy of measurements establishes a standardized data collection.
Meeting Customer Requirements
Every organization's goal is to increase profit. So, when the consumer is satisfied, whether internal or external, it helps to meet the goal of reaping profitable results. For this, understanding your customers is crucial. Without this, creating value or gaining their faith is impossible. According to consumer requirements, the key element of this principle is establishing quality standards.
After you have verified the problem, making changes in the process based on the newly acquired data is easier. Removing variation is equally important when compared to eliminating deficiencies and defects. To give your team and yourself a perspective, target quality control, and streamline processes.
A Robust Six Sigma Certified Workforce
The organization must provide the stakeholders, teammates with Six Sigma course, or Six Sigma Certification Training. It requires expertise to contribute to the Six Sigma processes of problem-solving and streamlining. Until and unless your team members understand the purpose of using six sigma strategies, you can't implement those into your team's efforts. Your team must be proficient in tools and methodologies that are used worldwide in six sigma to run operations smoothly.
Consistency in Quality Control
The ultimate objective here is to bring positive results and transformation. To achieve this goal, your team members must be flexible, consistent, responsive, and open to changes.
Consequently, before taking any step, you need to ask yourself, 'is this step bringing me any closer to the ultimate, desired change or goal?'
Product & Customer-driven features of Six Sigma Methodology:
Six Sigma aims to avoid waste and inefficiency, to increase customer satisfaction by delivering what the customer is expecting.
Six Sigma is a structured and disciplined structure methodology.
Six Sigma is a statistical and data-driven methodology that requires accurate or error-less data to analyze the process correctly.
Six Sigma is not merely about improving quality and increasing profits. It is about changing results in the financial statements as well.
5. After applying Six Sigma in your business, you can successfully achieve milestones mentioned below:
- Improving Process
- Lowering Defects
- Increased Profit
- Increased Customer Satisfaction
- Reducing Costs
- Reducing Process Variability
Six Sigma Methodologies revolves around one primary cycle called DMAIC
It is a data-driven quality strategy that identifies opportunities in the process to improve and reduce the defects and errors.
Advantages of Six-Sigma approach:
- Maximize customer satisfaction.
- Decrease the cost of production for any organization or business.
- Improve the position of the organization among competitors.
- Compress time to market.
- Remove defects and errors.
- Simplify the work of the organization to reduce inefficiency.
- It is a very reliable process to identify and removing defects as the success rate is more than 99%.
- Helps to customize works according to customer's interest to enhance satisfaction.
It is a verified certification course that helps an individual to be familiar with the complete Six-Sigma Body of Knowledge (BoK). In the process of learning Six-Sigma certification, the individual gets exposed to each aspect of Six-Sigma methodology and its implementation.
Fix levels of Six-Sigma Certification: According to your preferences, objectives one can choose any of these levels-
- Level 1: White Belt
- Level 2: Yellow Belt
- Level 3: Green Belt
- Level 4: Black Belt
- Level 5: Master Black Belt
Six Sigma White Belt Certification
In this course, a person gets to know about the different roles that every team member plays and to balance the coordination. It includes operation advancement, variability, adverse effects on task performance. The person gets the chance to be aware of the core comprehension of the lean Six-Sigma framework.
Six Sigma Yellow Belt Certification
Six Sigma Yellow Belt training course is a basic level certification course which helps in learning some core enhancement process along with some essential metrics and patterns.
Six Sigma Green Belt Certification
The Green Belt certification course is about learning to make graphs, procedure charts-maps, and managing the whole plan to guide other employees about Six-Sigma roles within an organization. The team leader or the most experienced person working under the team leader usually gets the designation of Green Belt.
Six Sigma Black Belt Certification
The Black Belt training course aims to learn the various types of process enhancement. They become familiar with the multiple regressions and factorial experiments. The Black Belt holder has the responsibility to assign work according to the skill set of different team members.
Master Black Belt Certification
It is a two-week duration certification program with the highest designation of Six-Sigma training. In this course, an individual can learn the advance and highly modified statistical approach of the Six-Sigma project. It is useful for those who deal with the executive part of an organization. After getting the Master Black Belt Six-Sigma designation, a person should able to talk about any complex procedure or technical issues.
What are the objectives of the Six Sigma certification?
- It helps to increase the value of the business.
- It helps to improve customer satisfaction and the quality of products and services provided to them.
- It helps in cost-saving up to 30% by cutting off unwanted processes.
- It helps to identify and improve requirements in the project planning phase.
- It helps to perform data analysis and testing.
- It helps to achieve organizational goals.
- Overall business improvement.
Who needs to attend the Six Sigma Certification training?
- Quality assurance manager
- Process improvement manager
- Business production managers
- Process control specialists
- Factory supervisors
- Management professionals such as HR
- Business Analysts
What is Lean Six Sigma Certification?
It is a management approach to improve business performance that has a blend of both specializations of Lean and Six Sigma.
The application of Lean Six Sigma improves quality and efficiency in a business. It focuses on taking out waste of a process in business while Six Sigma focuses on the effectiveness and removal of errors from a business. When combined and implemented effectively, Lean Six Sigma can be an extraordinary management tool that can help to improve a business organization's performance by providing it with a planned approach to resolving its problems.
Among all the Six Sigma certification, What are the two most popular?
Six Sigma Green Belt Certification:
In the Six Sigma Green Belt certification course, the participants receive an introduction on how to implement tools and methods that are essential to know to participate in DMIAC (Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, and Control) improvement projects. This course mainly focuses on the basic structure of DMAIC (Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, and Control). By taking up this certification course, any business person can identify the problems in business and resolve them, respectively.
Six Sigma Black Belt Certification:
The primary role of a Black Belt professional is to lead a project in the right direction. Black Belts are trained in improving business processes using lean concepts as well as the latest statistical analysis methods. Black belts can understand the team structures and can assign roles and responsibilities to team members. Black Belts help in reducing variance in the business processes to achieve better results. Black Belts teach and counsel business personnel on how to reduce variation and make better business decisions that improve results. They have an understanding of the structure of the DMAIC (Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, and Control) and can train Green Belts and support Master Black Belts.
How to get Six Sigma Certification?
For achieving a Six Sigma certificate, the business person should be able to meet the experience required, need to apply for, and clear a written certification exam, which mostly consists of multiple choices that increase with each higher certification level.
Advantages of learning Six-Sigma Certification Course
- Six Sigma Certification significantly adds value to your resume and increases your credibility before your clients
- Helps to maximize satisfaction
- Helps you to enhance the quality of services
- Diminishes the procedure completion period, decreases the cost of production and increases profits
- Helps to know and improve the needs in the project regulation period
- It helps to know how to perform hypothesis and statistical analysis
- Elaborate on the process of product measurement
- Increase the chances of getting higher posts and promotions in the organization
- It makes things easier and manageable
- Helps to remove defects and resolve errors
- Increase productivity
Benefits of Six Sigma Certification to an Individual
Helps to gain Managerial and Leadership Ability: Once personnel gets Six Sigma certification, he/she has a complete understanding of measuring and improving the financial benefits of an organization. Six Sigma training makes personnel ready for leadership roles, knowing how to reduce excess costs and increase profits. Hence the efficiency of the entire business process is increased. They help in improving the quality of the products and services delivered to customers. Certified Six Sigma professionals get a good chance of growing to senior managerial positions in an organization.
Good Salary: Six Sigma certified personnel get higher salary than other general personnel. They are amongst the highest-paid professionals globally.
Better job prospectus across Industries: Six Sigma certified personnel have better job prospects that other general personnel. Six Sigma techniques and methods are applicable in electronics, aerospace, banking and financial sector, IT, telecom, HR, marketing, and in many more industries. Getting a Six Sigma certification can lead to better job prospects with a better salary. But Six Sigma exams are not easy to clear; that is the reason Six Sigma certified professionals get an edge over others in any industry.
Benefits of Six Sigma Certification to the Organization
Customer Satisfaction: Six Sigma results in an improved and more efficient product, which leads to higher customer satisfaction.
Customer loyalty: When a customer is satisfied with the products, they become loyal consumers of a brand, and come back to make future purchases. For achieving a loyal customer, the product should maintain its quality and upgrade according to the need of the customers.
Improved salary: When a business has loyal customers, it gains more and more customers that increase the profit margin of the business as a result of higher purchasing. Hence the employees' salary structure also expands when the business is making higher profits.
Challenges of Six-Sigma Method:
- To efficiently implement a Six-Sigma approach, it must have leaders dedicated to the organization's objective. Leadership support is essential for a successful Six-Sigma implementation.
- The timeframe required to implement the Six-Sigma method is usually extensive. It requires a sufficient investment of time in processing quality enhancement projects and training the employees.
- Implementing sufficient matrices for an equal rate at all levels of an organization is a complex process that requires constant human resources and a sufficient timeframe.
Understand the Agile Project Management solution from PlanStreet utilizing Kanban and Scrum boards
Learn how PlanStreet Agile can assist you with product development and services delivery across the enterprise